2013 Top 10 Trenchless Design Firms
By Sharon M. Bueno Dec 31, 2013
Engineering firms that submitted their information were included in the Top 50 Trenchless Design Firms survey. For information on how to participate, contact Sharon M. Bueno, managing editor, at
email@example.com. Click here to download the complete list of Top 50 Design Firms.
1. CH2M HILLCH2M HILL is a global leader in consulting, design, design-build, operations and program management for government, civil, industrial and energy clients. The firm’s work is concentrated in the areas of water, transportation, environmental, energy, power and facilities and infrastructure. With $7 billion (U.S.) in revenue, approximately 28,000 employees and projects in more than 116 countries, CH2M HILL is an industry-leading program management, construction management and design firm. Since the firm’s inception in 1946, CH2M HILL’s scientists, engineers and construction experts have been planning, designing and constructing the world's most technically complex and significant water projects. The firm was named Water Company of the Year at the 2012 Global Water Awards. For more information, we invite you to access CH2M HILL’s expertise all year long on the Access Water Blog at www.ch2mhillblogs.com/water or on the Web at www.ch2mhill.com.
2. Hatch Mott MacDonaldHatch Mott MacDonald is a 2,600-person, full-service infrastructure, transportation and environmental engineering company. The firm offers public and private clients a complete range of services including planning, feasibility studies, design and procurement as well as program, project and construction management. With more than 70 offices across North America, and access to staff resources of more than 25,000 worldwide, Hatch Mott MacDonald delivers world class solutions to meet clients’ infrastructure and environmental challenges. Web: www.hatchmott.com.
3. Black & VeatchBlack & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building Critical Human Infrastructure in energy, water, telecommunications and government services. The company’s water business delivers innovative asset and environmental planning, design, procurement, construction and operational solutions that help to provide safe drinking water and effective, sustainable wastewater and stormwater management to communities worldwide.
Our innovative solutions protect water at its source, treat it to the highest standards, deliver it to homes and businesses, then collect and treat wastewater before reintroducing it safely back into the environment. We work with clients to make smart use of their water resources through reuse systems, desalination, dams and hydropower, renewables, irrigation and aquifer storage and recovery. With $3.3 billion in revenue, the company has more than 100 offices worldwide and has completed projects in more than 100 countries on six continents. Web: www.bv.com.
4. CDM SmithCDM Smith is a global, full-service consulting, engineering, construction and operations firm helping public and private clients improve the environment and infrastructure. Since 1947, CDM Smith has been providing innovative engineering solutions throughout the world. The firm’s core planning, design and construction expertise includes infrastructure design and rehabilitation, geotechnical, transportation, architecture, environmental management, site remediation, dams/levees/reservoirs, transportation, construction management, design-build, SCADA, operations and information management.
Trenchless technologies have been a continual component of CDM Smith design projects and the company is proficient in all types of technologies including tunneling, microtunneling, HDD, pipeline assessment and cleaning, SSES, SSO/CSO, pipe rehabilitation, pipe bursting, ground freezing and pipe jacking. In the past five years, CDM Smith has designed trenchless technology projects that have resulted in more than $1.1 billion in construction projects. Web: www.cdmsmith.com.
5. Stantec Consulting Services Inc.We’re active members of the communities we serve. That's why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind. The Stantec community unites more than 13,000 specialists working in over 200 locations. Our work begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. For new utility installations, our experience includes HDD, conventional or microtunneling, guided bore or pilot tube micro-tunneling, pipe jacking, or cased bores. For infrastructure rehabilitation, we are experienced with the initial condition assessment through selection of the preferred rehabilitation methods, including CIPP lining, joint sealing, pipe bursting or splitting. Our active slate of pipe rehabilitation, trenchless technology, and tunneling projects represents more than $500 million in capital expenditures. Whether it is for crossing a river or other environmentally-sensitive areas, or for minimizing disruption to the public in a busy urban setting, Stantec brings the appropriate trenchless technology for developing an advanced solution. Web: www.stantec.com.
6. CardnoCardno offers a core competency in the coordination of major infrastructure projects, auger boring, a full range of subsurface utility engineering, three-dimensional underground imaging, pipeline condition assessment and rehabilitation, utility design, coordination and inspection, surveying and mapping, transportation engineering, construction engineering and civil and environmental engineering. Throughout the United States and internationally, Cardno employees are actively involved with industry associations and take part in the research and development of industry standards and guidelines. Web: www.cardno.com.
7. Arcadis U.S.Arcadis is the leading pure play global engineering and consultancy firm, providing consultancy, design, engineering and management services in infrastructure, water, environment and buildings. We enhance mobility, sustainability and quality of life by creating balance in the built and natural environments. Arcadis develops, designs, implements, maintains and operates projects for companies and governments. With 22,000 employees and more than $3.3 billion in revenue, the company has an extensive international network supported by strong local market positions. Arcadis supports UN-HABITAT with knowledge and expertise to improve the quality of life in rapidly growing cities around the world. Web: www.arcadis-us.com.
8. Jacobs Engineering GroupFounded in California in 1947, Jacobs Engineering Group is one of the world’s largest providers of engineering, design and construction services with more than 70,000 employees worldwide. Jacobs’ Tunnels Practice Group offers design, construction management and consulting services for all tunneling and trenchless technologies. We deliver cost-effective, constructible solutions for our client’s complex underground projects.
Our trenchless technology professionals are well-versed in state-of-the-art construction methods, including microtunneling, auger boring, pipe jacking, horizontal directional drilling, pilot tube microtunneling, pipe bursting and pipe ramming. Our professionals are leaders and innovators who participate in industry-wide committees and conferences, teach courses and have co-authored publications that are used as trenchless industry standards. They participate regularly as seminar faculty and publish technical papers regarding the latest advances in trenchless technology. Tempered with on-the-job construction expertise, we deliver practical and innovative project services across the globe. Web: www.jacobs.com.
9. Parsons BrinckerhoffParsons Brinckerhoff is a leader in developing and operating infrastructure around the world, with 14,000 employees dedicated to meeting the needs of clients and communities in the Americas, Europe, Africa the Middle East, Asia and Australia-Pacific regions. Parsons Brinckerhoff offers skills and resources in strategic consulting, planning, engineering, program/construction management and operations for all modes of infrastructure, including transportation, power, community development, water and the environment. Parsons Brinckerhoff is part of Balfour Beatty plc, the international infrastructure group operating in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments. Web: www.pbworld.com.
10. Brown & CaldwellBrown and Caldwell consistently delivers successful and award winning projects involving trenchless engineering and pipeline rehabilitation. Since 2001, the firm’s work has been honored by the North American Society for Trenchless Technology, Trenchless Technology magazine with two awards for Project of the Year, the International Society for Trenchless Technology, the American Academy of Environmental Engineers and several local/regional organizations. With a 64-year history of adapting state-of-the-art technologies to complex infrastructure challenges, Brown and Caldwell is a recognized leader in helping water and wastewater agencies manage and improve their buried assets. Its nationwide team is drawn from 1,400 employees in 50 offices across the United States and helps communities with planning, condition assessment, information management, permitting, public education, design, renovation, construction services and proactive O&M. Web: www.brownandcaldwell.com.
Click here to find out Who Are Today's Trenchless Engineers?